October 5-7, 2022 Arusha - United Republic of Tanzania
Sixty-Fifth Meeting of the
UNWTO Regional Commission for Africa
FORUM ON ``REBUILDING AFRICA’S TOURISM RESILIENCE FOR INCLUSIVE SOCIO-ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT”
UNWTO gathers the brightest minds in the world. Learn new skills and get insights from experts and practitioners from all around!
The weather in Arusha is moderate which normally ranges from 15º C to 25ºC maximum.
The working languages of the conference will be English and French. The documents will be prepared in English and French and simultaneous interpretation will be provided in English and French.
The time in Arusha, Tanzania is GMT+3
The Unit of currency is the Tanzana Shilling (TZS). Currently exchange rates are available. Here
- Public offices open from 8:00am to 03:30pm (Monday to Friday).
- • Businesses are open from 08:00am to 06:00pm (Monday to Saturday)
- • Banks are open 08:30am to 04:00pm (Monday to Friday) 08:30am to 01:00pm (Saturday). Most internationally recognized currencies can be exchanged at commercial banks and hotels. Major credit cards are accepted in most hotels, restaurants and shops.
In Tanzania, the power plugs and sockets are of type D (a plug which has three round pins in a triangular pattern) and G (a plug which has two flat parallel pins and a grounding pin). The standard voltage is 230V and the standard frequency is 50 Hz. Electrical sockets three pronged. Most hotels provide adapters on request.
Arusha is a region in Northern Tanzania situated below Mount Meru on the Eastern edge of the Eastern branch of the Great Rift Valley. The Arusha region as a whole is a popular tourist destination and is the centre of the Northern Tanzania Safari Circuit. It has a pleasant climate and is close to National Parks like the Serengeti, Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara, Olduvai Gorge, Tarangire National Park, Mount Kilimanjaro and Arusha National Park, where Mount Meru stands.
Arusha is the Headquarters of the East African Community which comprises of seven member countries namely; Burundi, DRC, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda. The city is a major conference hub in the Sub-region and its population is cosmopolitan. It is reputed as one of the most pleasant cities in the world, due to its beautiful countryside scenery and lively local music by Tanzanian groups.
A valid passport is required for all visitors to United Republic of Tanzania
• Based on laws of the country, visa exemption is in place for passport holders from specific African countries. (Click here for more information on visa arrangements)
• Courtesy Visa will be issued on arrival upon presentation of accreditation letter or invitation letter from the organizers of the event. However, participants are strongly advised to provide copy of passports and arrival notice to: Mr. Felix John – email email@example.com or Mr. Richie Wandwi – email firstname.lastname@example.org or not later than 1st October, 2022.
a) Ground Transport
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Tourism of Tanzania will arrange transportation for participants and UNWTO Secretariat upon arrival, and departure from the airport, as well as return transport between proposed list of hotels and the venue of the event. All participants are therefore, requested to register on-line at the following link giving details of their arrival and departure at REGISTER NOW
Please note that the final destination for direct international flights to Arusha is Kilimanjaro International Airport (KIA) which is 50 kilometers from Arusha City , an hour drive during normal traffic.
The following airlines fly directly to Kilimanjaro International Airport:
• Air Tanzania
• Precision Air
• Ethiopian Airlines
• Qatar Airways
• Turkish Airlines
• Kenya Airways
• Rwanda Air.
One may reach Arusha from Dar es Salaam (Julius Nyerere International Airport-JNIA) by a domestic flight mainly operated by Air Tanzania and Precision Air to either Kilimanjaro International Airport or Arusha Airport. Arusha Airport is a small domestic airport in the West of the city, about 15 minutes’ drive from the city centre.
Delegations travelling by road should inform the Tanzanian Authorities beforehand. They should provide the following details:
• Type of vehicle
• Registration number
• Names of Passengers
• Point of entry and exit (route)
• Date and time of arrival and departure
Reception and information desk will be operated from both VIP and normal arrival lounges and assist participants in immigration formalities, baggage collection, coordinate transport and transfers to the hotel for UNWTO Secretariat and provide transport and transfers to other participants.
United Republic of Tanzania Ministry of Health requires all travelers coming from countries endemic to Yellow Fever to produce proof of vaccination at border posts
Common guidelines for participants:
• Follow World Health Organization recommendations
• Follow the recommendations of United Republic of Tanzania on COVID-19 protocols
• Participants are be notified before traveling on Tanzania’s COVID-19 requirements for entry (Information are available here).
• List of countries for mandatory COVID testing is available here.
• If any participant presents COVID-19 symptoms (fever, cough, headache, muscle aches), they must isolate themselves ASAP in their room and notify the security coordinator assigned for the event, who will put the protocol into practice.
At the event’s venue, participants must:
• Maintain social distance (in the seat and in moments of group conversation)
• Sanitize at all times with hydro alcoholic gels, observe social distancing, use face masks (FFP2 masks are highly recommended) and keep the meeting rooms ventilated at all times.
The Government will provide the following services at the venue:
• A security coordinator in charge of COVID-19 matters
• A telephone number and the protocol created for the meeting with the attendees
• Hydroalcoholic gels, Face masks (preferrably FFP2) and social distancing must be ensured. If possible, the temperature of the attendees will also be taken.
If a participant becomes ill:
• The Government will have at its disposal a medical care protocol, if any participant becomes ill, including COVID-19 infection, they must be treated. Severe cases will be treated in a previously identified hospital and mild cases may remain in their own hotel room or in the one assigned by the authorities with a COVID-19 area (if this is the case)
• The Government will contact a laboratory company that can perform PCR TEST and will coordinate all those participants who request the test.
Thank You Our Sponsors and Partners
We wouldn't be able to host our conference without help from these amazing companies. A huge thanks to all our sponsors and partners!